Trinity United Church
Tel: (905) 852-
20 First Avenue, Uxbridge, Ontario L9P 1M4
Trinity United Church 20 First Avenue, Uxbridge, Ontario L9P 1M4 Tel: (905) 852-
Trinity United Church has a long and rich history in Uxbridge. The congregation was founded in 1858 as a Methodist church. The cornerstone of our current church building was laid in 1888. In 1925 we became a member congregation of the United Church of Canada.
Trinity has long had a tradition of vibrant worship and commitment to studying and sharing the Word of God. We continue that tradition today in our Sunday morning service as well as in our ministries for children, youth and adults. We are an active congregation of all ages, with an average Sunday morning attendance of about 120 people. We are committed to the community of Uxbridge, and we desire to be a blessing in Jesus' name. We count it a privilege to be a United Church congregation serving alongside our sisters and brothers of other Christian denominations in this township.
The Quaker Hill Four were a gospel quartet based in Trinity United Church in the 1940’s to the 1960’s. Ron Duckworth is the only surviving member, and is still a regular member of the Trinity congregation.
1855 services were held in the school but apparently Uxbridge was on its own, or with the Methodist Church in Prince Albert. Rev. Thomas Demorest was the circuit rider or resident minister at Prince Albert. (Port Perry is not mentioned.)
1856 Mr. John Plank donated the land on which the present church stands. A plain frame structure with basement was built. Stone foundation, wooden walls likely 12 feet high, rafters across a span of 24 feet, and a sloped ceiling and roof.
1858 The opening of the plain frame first church. Rev. W. Stephenson preacher. The driving shed was where the parking lot of Trinity Manor is now.
1868 First Ladies Aid organized. Between 1858 and November 1887, the original building was enlarged several times.
1867 An addition 24 feet by 40 feet was added to the west end at a cost of $700.00. This enlarged Wesleyan Methodist church building was officially opened on January 5, 1867.
1871 A front vestibule with a tower and a steeple was added to the East end of the church. A choir loft constructed, (likely at the West end). A bell was placed in the tower, costing $100.00.
1874 New parsonage built, north-
1878 the Church was enlarged by transepts on the north and south sides.
1881 Dominion Census -
1884 All branches of Methodists, Bible Christians, Canada Methodists, Episcopal Methodists, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyan Methodists united under the name of Methodist Church of Canada.
1887 Decision to build a new Church because the frame wooden Church seating over 600 was crowded and with all the additions unsightly. The first canvass raised $11,300.00.
1888 Saturday in March -
13 May 1888 -
26 May 1888 -
June 1988 -
21 July 1988 -
17 December 1988 -
Harman and Walker. carpenters
James Stobbs and Co, masonry and plastering.
H. Jones, iron work and painting
Williams Company, slating
Total cost $18,000.00 debt outstanding $3,873.00.
189 February 24, the formal opening, attendance was about 1,450. Seating capacity was 1,250 so 200 seats were added for this occasion (some pews have been removed, capacity now is about 1,100 persons).
1901 Census Methodist members 487 in township of 1,657
1902 Pipe organ installed cost $2,000.00
Between 1902 and 1925 many ‘revival’ meetings.
1908 Business Men’s Bible class organized (69 charter members) and led by Thomas Gould.
1911 Rev. Roscoe Chapin ordained, first from membership. Census township population 1,453
1921 Census township population 1,456
1923 Electricity installed
1925 United Church of Canada Toronto East Presbytery, Rev. Albert E. Owen.
1931 Census Methodist members 420 in township of 1,325.
1933 Rev. Alf Binnington, ordained, second from membership.
1936 Rev. Ross Dobson Crosby, ordained, third from membership.
1938 The ‘Drys’ win in Uxbridge, by a majority of 417, the people of Uxbridge Ontario voted against the sale of beer and liquor. 80% of the total possible vote were polled, the highest ever recorded.
1941 Census Methodist members 396 in township of 1,406.
July 1941 -
1942 First use of the name “Trinity United”.
1951 Rev. Harold A Kennedy, moved from Toronto East Presbytery to York Presbytery.
1958 Rev. Donald Jay
1961 Pipes removed and space concealed by purple drape and Cross in memory of Mr. H. W. Knight. Ceiling lights in a gothic style installed. The Altar Rail removed.
1962 Trinity Hall officially dedicated. Inaugural service of the United Church Women, 21 January.
1963 Rev. Harold K. Wright.
1965 Rev. James Mills, died 19 August 1971 age 39.
1966 Flower stands dedicated
1971 Dedication of the Mills Memorial Chapel. Rev. James B. Gibson, ordained 1972.
1973 New manse built
1980 Rev. Michael Locke. First “Messiah” performed at Trinity.
1981 First upright piano in Sanctuary -
1982 Trinity Manor opened with 40 one-
1983 Bethel Bible Study. Renovated Friendship Hall and New Kitchen, and washrooms dedicated.
1985 Rev David Clinker ordained, fourth from membership. Tom Baker, Organist.
1986 Mrs. Montgomery retired as secretary. Mrs. Carolyn Hicken, secretary.
1987 Rev. Paul Reed ordained, fifth from membership. Rev. John Tapscott. ordained, sixth from membership.
1988 Rev. Daniel Yourkevich. Rev. Jeanette Millar, associate minister. New electric organ installed.
1993 Rev. Leslie Sedore, ordained, seventh from membership.
1994 Church lift installed.
1997 Grand Piano dedicated in memory of Mrs. Yvonne Amos.
1998 Christ Candle in memory of Margaret Smith, Deaconess. Pulpit supplied by Rev. Newton Reed, Rev. Mort Patterson and Rev. Jean Day.
2000 Front steps rebuilt, landscaped, and dedicated. Rev. Alan Mills. Diane Duncan, secretary.
2001 First Alpha Program.
2003 New chairs in basement, new shingles on south roof.
2004 Assistant Volunteer Minister -
2006 Ministry Team -
2010 Interim Minister -
2011 Interim Minister -
2012 Minister -
Trinity United Church